Wimbledon Park Golf Club
- Thorough preparation and analysis of legal parameters and stakeholder objectives
- Engagement with all stakeholders to confirm objectives and to progress consensus
- Presentation of deliverable and negotiated solution for formal consideration by stakeholders
We employed these capabilities when we advised the members of Wimbledon Park Golf Club.
- Company Profile
- Transaction Background
- What We Did
Wimbledon Park Golf Club is an 18-hole parkland course set around the Wimbledon Park Lake, in the heart of London SW19. The club was owned by its members and held a 23 year lease for the golf course land. The freeholder was the All England Lawn Tennis & Croquet Club (AELTC) which is situated adjacent to the course and runs the Wimbledon Championships.
- AELTC wished to buy back the golf course lease in order to use the golf course land to expand tournament facilities and had made a number of financial proposals to the WPGC members
- After a period of internal discussions, the member appointed board at WPGC decided to appoint financial advisers to manage the process of engagement with AELTC and to ensure effective member consultation through a rigorous, impartial process
- Working with legal and property advisers, Opus advised on extensive consultation with WPGC members alongside negotiations with AELTC to provide an optimal proposal for member consideration
- As part of the process, the governance of WPGC required updating and reconstituting to provide transparent and effective decision processes and deliverable outcomes
- A substantially improved proposal was negotiated with AELTC for consideration by WPGC members
- Under the renewed WPGC constitution the pros and cons of the AELTC proposal (both financial and non-financial) were set out in a detailed document to inform a vote by members on the final AELTC proposal without any recommendation as to voting. The AELTC proposal was approved by special resolution of WPGC members